Irish Hollow Breakfast Pie
with Sweet Potato Crust
- Cooking spray
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-in.-thick slices
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup sliced veggies (we use whatever is fresh that day!)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- fresh herbs of choice
- 1/2 cup milk or half & half
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Layer sweet potatoes in slightly overlapping circles on bottom and upsides of plate, Coat potatoes with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until potatoes are slightly tender. Place pan on a wire rack. Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add oil, garlic and veggies; saute 3 minutes. Add spinach; saute 3 minutes. remove from heat; cool.
Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (through egg whites) in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Arrange spinach mixture in crust; pour egg mixture over spinach. Sprinkle with feta and fresh herbs. Bake at 375°F for 35 minutes or until egg mixture is set. Let stand 5 minutes.